Adjusting to college isn’t the easiest thing to do, but I think the hardest part of the whole experience was adjusting to the people and how they interacted with each other. Have you ever been in a situation where everyone seems to be talking but nobody is actually saying anything?
I think it is natural for people to put up their defenses around people they don’t know very well, but there is something so liberating about speaking from your heart! Sometimes showing a little bit of vulnerability is a great way to gain the trust of others and make some genuine friends.
I was having a casual conversation with one of my academic advisors recently who clearly wasn’t afraid of asking honest questions. Amidst all the surface level conversations I have everyday, it was like a breath of fresh air! I couldn’t help but wonder why everyone couldn’t just speak honestly?
I don’t want to make this a very wordy post; I want to hear your words! Answer one, or two, or all of the questions that resonate with you. Unlike the beloved Coke or Pepsi questions, I think this questionnaire is a great way to help us better understand our character.
One last thing: this is for everybody! No matter if you found this post by accident, sought it out, or you are 50 years in the future! It takes all kinds of stories to fill the world. 🙂
1) How do you deal with disappointment?
2) What is your greatest success up until now?
3) In what ways do you hold yourself back?
4) Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
5) What book/movie/artist/musical has influenced you the most?
6) What is your greatest failure? Did you overcome it? How?
7) What is something you haven’t done yet, but you would like to?
8) What are you an expert at?
9) Who is your personal hero?
10) What is a belief that you cling to?
11) What is your story?
12) What do you struggle with?
Let’s not be afraid of vulnerability! And most importantly, we must take the time to listen to others.
Here are some of my posts that in which I have a “real talk” 🙂
- Let’s Rethink the Way We Look at Honesty
- The Art of Not Caring what People Think About You
- Little Ways to Cut Negativity Out of Your Life
- All Christians are Pretty Messed Up- Here’s Why